Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day 26 of Homelessness

Greg (left) brought a fine cup of coffee to my tent this morning. I’m getting spoiled.

A week or two ago, I found a bedbug on my coat in my office and promptly killed it. Today, I found a bedbug full of blood on me. Bedbugs are a huge problem for us. A number of our homeless clients slough off bedbugs while at our day shelter and they migrate throughout the facility, hiding in chairs and then hitching rides home on the unsuspecting. A staff member recently had to fumigate his house and bedbugs are a lot harder to get rid of than your average pest. It's expensive, a special pesticide must be used, all clothing has to be washed in hot water, and they can apparently go a year without a meal. I just hope I haven’t brought pestilence down upon the friends' homes where I’ve showered or upon those with whom I've camped.

No comments:

Post a Comment